A practical step-by-step, room-by-room guide to simple modifications that can help seniors make their homes safer and easier to navigate, this reference offers readers clear and practical solutions. Author Lynda Shrager is a registered, national board certified occupational therapist, a master’s level social worker and a Certified Aging in Place Specialist (CAPS) with more than thirty-seven years’ experience in the field of geriatrics and more than thirteen years working with seniors in their homes. It is this mix of qualification and experience that makes her an expert in adapting the environment to increase patient safety and independence. This book is designed to help seniors and their caregivers address these new challenges together to make life at home safer, more manageable and less stressful for all.
• Room-by-room walk through to evaluate and modify safety of the home
• Photographs of modifications from patients’ homes
• Recommendations for the best home medical equipment
• Where to obtain services and additional helpful resources
• Check list for the reader to complete their own room by room walk through with a quick and easy guide to making each space safe and manageable
• “Hacks for Health and Home” at the end of each chapter with occupational therapy tips
• Vital Documents Guide for easy retrieval of important papers in case of an emergency